February 13th, 2011   7 comments

Charlotte woke up good this morning but didn’t want to eat or drink much.  She got more and more needy as the morning went on and eventually wound up with a fever about 10:30.  Amy is on her way to the ER now to have her checked out.  Her numbers all looked good the last few times she has had blood drawn so we are all thinking her PICC line is likely the cause.  Perhaps it has gotten infected.  Please send a few prayers that this is nothing more than that!




Charlotte and Amy spent the nicest day in months trolling around the UW ER.  When they arrived, Charlotte still had about a 101 fever but a familiar face was there to greet them.  One of our 4th floor peds nurses came down to access her port since the ER didn’t impress us too much the last time.  They drew blood from both her PICC line and her port for cultures.  They also were able to give her tylenol to take the edge off a little bit and started some IV fluids.  She also had a chest x-ray, and a urinalysis within the first couple of hours.  None of the nurses or doctors that looked at her PICC line thought it looked questionable or needed to be redressed or cleaned again.  After the tylenol kicked in, Charlotte felt better and even ate snacks and had water.  She was playing in the under equipped ER playroom too.

This ER visit started out quicker than the last one, but soon time dragged on with little to no updates.  One time a nurse came into their room for the first time in over an hour, but it was just to take one of their chairs out of the room.  Amy asked for updates, and every time she was told they were just minutes away from updates or possible release…but those updates didn’t come.  Eventually she was given a 30 minute IV antibiotic and they were released home.  All in all, 6 hours was wasted with very few answers.  But she returned home happy and active.  She still had a small fever of 100.3 but took her medicine well and went to sleep early-she had no nap at the ER and only slept 10 minutes on the way home.

We will expect a call from the attending physician tomorrow to discuss this further, and we will hope that the fevers are gone tomorrow morning.


Thanks to everyone who was able to say an additional prayer or two for Charlotte today.  I am sure they helped.



Posted February 13, 2011 by L. Elske in Uncategorized

7 responses to “February 13th, 2011

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Sending prayers…love and hugs too.

  2. Sorry to hear this. I’m sending prayers that this is nothing serious.

  3. Praying for you!!

  4. Praying this is nothing serious! Keeping you in our thoughts.

  5. Glad to hear you guys were able to come home and it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. ERs are the worst! I hope you get some good answers today!

  6. Praying for no fevers today. Sounds like you made the best of your visit to the ER but it’s too bad everything took so long. Hope you have a nice, quiet day at home today. 🙂

  7. Prayers and love from our way too! Keep up the good work–we’re proud of all of you.

    Steven & Terry Licitar

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s